Tuesday, April 26, 2011

City Mouse and Country Mouse

After spending a glorious week in both Long Island and New York, I started thinking about how my style tends to shift depending on my location. I spent 2.5 years living in the big city, and have now been back in the 'burbs for almost a year. I've noticed a distinct shift in what I'm grabbing from my closet day to day since my move. Much of my wardrobe pulls double duty, but there's definitely distinct "city" clothes and "country" clothes.

While in the city, I habitually reach for edgier pieces, usually solid or easily layered. The majority of my stuff is in the standard grey, white, and black palette with pops of color. The black thing isn't a New York cliche, it really does make things easy when you're always on the go, as well as disguises dirt - part of the territory when traveling underground with the moles in a city of 8 million people. Shoes? Must be walkable. I'm sorry, but Carrie Bradshaw is a liar. No one can run around that city in 4" stilettos without a driver, or a lot of cab money. A visual, if you will:

City Style
















Lace blouse, 20 GBP

While in "country" mode, my wardrobe is decidedly more colorful. I feel like it's filled with more fun pieces, breezy and casual. Being that transportation is less...pedestrian, I can wear whatever footwear I like. Also, since much of the time is spent in climate controlled areas, I don't feel the need to worry about layering as much for warmth or varied temperatures. Voila, the styling of one Country Mouse:


Country Style

1 comment: